Thursday, June 19, 2008

Black, White, and Bling

I belong to a Stampin'Up! demonstrators group, and we now have our own blog, NMBS Group. Our first challenge was to make a card using black, white, one color, a floral image and some bling. My first attempt was not quite what I was going after, so here is my second. This card is being sent to a friend of mine whose husband has a very aggressive kind of cancer. Since I am sure HE is getting lots of cards, thoughts & prayers, I thought it would be nice to send a card just to her. She is holding up her end by being a supportive wife and mom and I know she needs prayer too. So this is for Kim!

nmbs challenge 2

First, I used Sketch 49 by Tamara. I loved how the Afternoon Tea (another dose!) had the pretty bird & flower silhouette, so I put my embellishment to the right of it. The bling is on the embellishment: I used a black brad, stuck a mini glue dot on it and dipped it in glitter. I also used glitter on the flower itself. Here is a closeup: nbms challenge closeup

The embellishment is raised on dimensionals as well.

Stamps: Baroque Motifs, Fresh Cuts, Sincere Salutations

Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White, Soft Sky, Afternoon Tea DP

Ink: Stazon, Soft Sky

Acc: Brad, Black Grosgrain, DD Glitter, Glue Dot, Dimensionals

A cyber friend of mine, Dana, was remarking about layers on cards, and not liking to use so much card stock. I thought while I was making this card, I would show a little trick that I do when I have large layers. Some of you may already do this, but it never hurts to have a refresher! I apologize for the photo quality, I was taking them right at my work area and not really trying for good quality!

frame tutorial 1

If you look at my card above, you see the base is white, then a black layer, then a Soft Sky layer. I cut my black layer 5 1/4" x 4".

Then I cut the center out, leaving a frame of about 1/2" all around. I do this with my SU cutter which allows me to lift the cutting blade and place it down "inside" the cardstock. Then the frame gets mounted on my card base.

frame tutorial 2Then I trim the piece that has been cut out to use as a mat for the bottom focal piece.

frame tutorial 3 Then, I can mount the front panel over the black "frame" and continue creating my card.

This way, I have "lightened" my card and used the piece that would normally be covered up, as another layer. Hope this was helpful to someone!!!

Have a great day!
LeAnne

3 comments:

Me, My Stamps and I said...

wonderful card, leanne !!!!i love the colors and the cute design.
tfs:)
chat

Anonymous said...

Duh... I've been looking, and inspecting that beautiful card and making notes and saving the photo....on and on and on.....and I FINALLY got around to READING your post!! Thank you for doing that for ME. You LIKE me!! You really LIKE me!!! lol and bless you.

Unknown said...

Very pretty card!!! I love the soft colors you used....and those yummy papers!! Thanks for playing along this week!!