Thursday, June 12, 2008

Watercolor Wash

Yesterday, SCS's weekly newsletter's tutorial was on Watercolor Wash.  I had just gotten this Stampscapes Lakeside Cabin scene on Saturday and thought it would be a good image to try this technique with.  My original idea, and how this turned out, were two totally different things!  I still like it, even though it evolved from my original sunset idea, to a Christmas card!  Go figure!  This is a technique that I will definitely need to practice, as I would have preferred the colors to be a little more intense.  I know that the nature of the technique, water, is always going to make the colors lighter, but I still think it could have been a little darker.

Stampscapes 1

I stamped the image first with Stazon on watercolor paper, then washed with Brocade Blue ink.  I overlaid a deeper wash of Handsome Hunter where the trees are, and then another deeper wash of Brocade Blue where the water is.  Even though it is difficult to see, I added Jelly Roll sparkle to the tree reflection, then decided to add a little white gel pen to look like snow.  The sentiment is from PTI's Believe set.  I used retired SU brads to form a star on a ribbon accent from Michael's. 

Stampscapes closeup I hope you will check out this tutorial and try it out yourself!
Thanks for visiting, and have a blessed day!
LeAnne

11 comments:

Me, My Stamps and I said...

OMG !!!!!!this is fabulous !!!!!your coloring is truly awesome!!!!tfs:)
chat

Tammy Hershberger said...

*gasp* LeAnne, this is BEAUTIFUL! What an amazing work of art! Great job!

Denise Marzec said...

Awesome, I love it! I'm going to have to check out the watercolor washing technique. This looks GORGEOUS with that Lakeside Cabin!!

Susie said...

This is so peaceful and serene - and BEAUTIFUL!! Great job.

Julia Aston said...

Nice job LeAnne! love this pretty lake scene and the snow on the trees - great watercolor technique!

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

The color detail is absolutely gorgeous! Oh what a wonderful piece of artwork this is. You've inspired me to give this technique a try.

Patsy said...

AWESOME!!!!! What a work from the heart!! Great details!! You Go Girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Leanne, this is just beautiful. Terrific job on the color wash- I haven't tackled it yet, but you have inspired me.

Diane
SCS Lost in the 60's

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh, LeAnne, this is gorgeous! I love what you've done with this image and that watercoloring...AMAZING! Gonna have to try that although I am horrible at watercoloring! LOL Nice job!

Jetstudio Designs said...

very pretty and elegant, I like the colors that you used, it make a beautiful christmas card!

Eileen said...

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous! Such a tranquil scene; the sentiment is perfect!