Monday, April 21, 2008

Jen's Sketch Challenge


The only bad thing about blog surfing is that you find SO MANY sites where there are wonderful sketches...you just can't look at them all, let alone participate in them! But I have been wanting to try Jen's sketches here. And I am just a go-against-the-grain girl.....if everybody is using a particular DP or stamp image that is popular at the time.....that makes me want to NOT use it!! I guess I march to a different drummer, hah! So I pulled out an old retired stamp set that I refused to part with (but haven't used it since!) and decided to use it. It was a hostess set called Provencal and I thought the feeling of the set went well with these two Basic Grey DPs I had. Mr Rooster is colored with inks and a blender pen on Very Vanilla after being stamped in Stazon Brown. I created a "wobbly-line" (not straight cuts) window with some lightweight paper and masked the outer portion of the image and daubered the colored image with More Mustard. I did the same with my sentiment but used a Nestabilities die. I also used a Nestabilities die for the Ruby Red backing for Mr Rooster, but I didn't have quite the right proportion for my size rectangle. So I remembered reading Sharon Johnson's blog about using a longer rectangle, then cutting and adhering it to make the size you need. Worked like a charm!! You probably can see it on the closeup, but from afar, it is not noticeable. The background is stamped in Paisley with Old Olive ink; ribbon is from Mike's. The sentiment is also lightly stamped with Linen. And I used my sewing machine!!!! I hope you can see the zig-zag stitching at the top and bottom of the DP!! TFL! Have a great day!
Stamps: Provencal, Linen, Paisley, Green Thumb (Papertrey)
Paper: Old Olive, VV, Ruby Red, Basic Grey Boxer & Fruitcake (??)
Ink: Stazon Brown, More Mustard, Creamy Caramel, Old Olive, Always Artichoke, Ruby Red, More Mustard, Garden Green
Acc: Sponge Daubers, Nestabilites, Mike's ribbon, Blender Pen, Good Old Singer Sewing Machine

11 comments:

Lynn Put said...

Your card is wonderful, I love this retired stamp and the designer papers you used!

Renee said...

Oh Leanne this is beautiful! Love your cards :)

lalalla said...

very very nice card!

Tammy Hershberger said...

LeAnne, this is beautiful! I love all the layers, and your stitching is fabulous! Awesome card!

Denise Marzec said...

Couple things..

First, I love the combination of that image with the BG papers. You always find just the right combination to give your cards a certain *feel*..Great job!

Second, I'm so excited...I received my blog candy today!!! That little heart pocket card is adorable, and the colors are so "me"...seriously, they'll match my living room. Thanks so much!!

~amy~ said...

Absolutely magnificent! I love your choice of dp...the stitching....everything!!!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Beautiful LeAnne...love your choices of paper and colours; a real vintage combination and it works perfectly with Provencal!

Tracy said...

Great coloring. Really like what you have done with this stamp.

Lori Barnett said...

This card is awesome!! I love all the dp. I also checked out that blog you listed on your previous post with the flowers. How cool is that! Thanks for sharing :)

Kay Kalthoff said...

WONDERFUL card! That is one of my favorite sets - love the way you enhanced that rooster with the coloring and those gorgeous papers!TFS!

Anonymous said...

this is AWESOME!