Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dry Embossed Christmas Card

DSCF6575

So far, I have been able to meet my own challenge of making a Christmas card a week!  This week’s is very simple, as I have a busy day ahead.  As I was sitting in church today, the lady in front of me had a pretty sweater on, and on the back was stitched a pine cone and branches within a little square of cross stitches.  I wondered how I could recreate that into a card, so this is what I came up with:

DSCF6573

I admit, it is pretty simple….there are a few layers but other than the image itself and the dry embossed panel, it’s a plain Jane!  I embossed the panel by running a piece of thin cardboard through my BigShot with a rectangle Nestie:

DSCF6571

If you don’t have a Nestability, just cut a rectangle or square with a craft knife.  I then stamped my entire image in Handsome Hunter, then colored just the pinecone with a Chocolate Chip marker.  I flipped the image over and used Dotto to adhere it to the top of the cardboard, centering the design over the cut-out area.  I was too lazy to pull out my light table, so I just put it up to the window and with my stylus, embossed the areas that had no stamping; I left the stamped areas un-embossed.  I did sponge a little Creamy Caramel ink on the raised area, just to give it some definition. I mounted it on some mats, then on my Very Vanilla card and added my sentiment from Many Merry Messages.  Some frosty glitter, and it was done!  I hope you are inspired to make some cards for your 2010 Christmas stash too!

14 comments:

Elise said...

PURE genius! LeAnne!!! What terrific inspiration, all the way around! I am SO glad that you and your amazing crafts are in my lil' world! WONDERFUL!

Caryl P said...

I guess it's true that card inspiration is EVERYWHERE, even in church! Beautiful card, I love the embossing idea, thanks for sharing.

Stacey Schafer said...

so pretty, LeAnne!

mudmaven said...

Absolute stunner! Love the simple elegance and what a great technique. Thanks for the inspiration! ~chris

Lisa Kind said...

Ok, a couple of things. First of all, you're killing me with these Christmas cards! I need to get on board! LOL! Second, aren't you supposed to be praying in church, not thinking of stamping? LOL!!! I did the same thing the other day at school. I pulled out my phone and took a picture of one of my student's sweater because I liked the design! We find inspiration everywhere, don't we? Love this simple, but elegant card!

Carol L said...

Beautifully done! This is one of SU!'s prettiest stamps ever and I love what you've done with it!!

Barbara said...

Gorgeous!!! Girl, you have really been turning out the cards!!!

Linda said...

LeAnne this is heavenly! It was truly spiritually inspired. I love it! I love the embossing. I haven't done much of that kind of embossing. I should it looks so nice.
Good going on keeping up with your goal. That-a-girl!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how beautiful, LeAnne! I am putting this in my fav's to case one day! LOL I LOVE this!!!

Shelley said...

Love this idea and your card, too. More and more I am being drawn to the Clean & Simple cards. I need to try this technique!

Denise Marzec said...

GORGEOUS! I love the clean design of this one.

Tammy Hershberger said...

Sweet and simple! Way to go, working on those Christmas cards! Make some for me too, OK?

Corie said...

This is beautiful -- such a great card.

Juanita said...

What a great card! That might seem like a plain jane, but it really packs some punch.