Sunday, March 21, 2010

Trim-a-Scallop Tutorial

I just got home from a delightful afternoon attending a local high school production of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  Two brothers from our church played the lead roles, and several other church kids had parts, so that made it even more special!  It’s amazing to watch these children grow up from infants to teenagers with such wonderful talents & energy! 

I had a couple people ask how to cut down SU’s Square Scallop die cut from a square to a rectangle.  So while making my ugly Christmas card shown here, I took some photos to show you what I did.

DSCF7285

Get your card stock and scallop square die…..

DSCF7286

and run it through your die cut machine.

DSCF7287

Whoa, all of a sudden my cardstock turned from Old Olive into Mellow Moss!!!  Anyway, move it over a couple “scallops” and realign it so that the scallops on the cardstock fit into the scallops on the die; you see the extra hanging over the right side there.  You could move it over as many scallops as you want to make it even narrower---you’re the boss.

DSCF7288

Here’s another view---just make sure those scallops are seated nicely in the die.

DSCF7289

Make your sandwich and run it through the machine again.  Don’t worry about that little overhang; it should still fit through the machine.

DSCF7290

See how nicely that cut? 

DSCF7291

And tada!  A rectangle!  And if you’re really frugal, you’ll save that little extra piece and cut off the edge and use it for something else!  Hope this was helpful! 

I must tell you this Scallop Square die is really awesome—it will cut through eight layers of fabric, as well as chipboard and other goodies.  I made this rag purse:

DSCF6072

(using directions from Angie Juda’s blog) by cutting the fabric squares with this die, and it will cut through two layers of folded cardstock to make a scalloped-edge card!  If you need one, just contact me!

12 comments:

Corie said...

Thanks for the tips/tutorial!! Your bag is beautiful

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

OH MY WORD!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your "rag bag"!! That is just the cutest thing ever! Now you know what I'm going to try to do...I know...I'm a copy cat!

Kristin Eberline said...

You MADE that purse?! That is CRAZY!!! So awesome, my friend :) Great tutorial also!!

Jennifer said...

Oh Wow! What a beautiful purse! That is so colorlful and fun!!

Jennifer L

Linda said...

That Christmas card is beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial. Will that die cut go through a Cuttlebug? I love the purse. Don't you call it a pocketbook? I love the material you used.

Pam Speidel said...

Now I "Get It"!!! Loved your tutorial LeAnne and the lights have come on upstairs! ;) Really, you made it look so easy. I have some spellbinder dies but not this one from SU. Is it a 6" square? That would be larger than the ones I have and I'm thinking I *need* it! Loved the bag you made too!

Michelle-Jersey Girl said...

GENIUS!!!! Thanks for the tutorial! I was wondering how you did that a few cards ago, :) Oh and your Christmas card is adorable!

Elise said...

You and YOUR fantastic ability to accessorize! HELLOOOOOOOOOOO, super talent! You have just rocked my Sunday evening and once again made your creative spirit travel far and wide, sharing the JOY! I love it!

Jan Hennings said...

Hi..Jan here from Papercraft Planet, Crafty Secrets group :) You still have time to get the shadowbox die kit ..just email me your address and I'll mail you one :)
You have a beautiful blog and I'm loving the bag you made!!

Bev J. said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Love the bag-love the fabric!

Juanita said...

Thanks for the pointers!

Tammy Hershberger said...

I'm still waiting for you to send me that purse! LOL