Sunday, April 19, 2015

Paper Players 241

DSCF9366

Happy Sunday, peeps!  It has been a glorious weekend here in Pennsylvania, hope it’s been great where you are too!  Nance is our Paper Players hostess today with an awesome clean and simple challenge:

Woohoo!  Anyone who reads my blog might know that I love to watercolor…so why was this challenge so “challenging”?  I am not sure, but this is the third card I made and I am still not real happy with it!  I wanted to do something similar to the blinkie above, but in the end, I just went with a line drawing and did my usual watercoloring!  I did choose an unusual color, because I don’t usually use Real Red unless it’s a Christmas card!  So here we go:

LeAnne Pugliese WeeInklings Paper Players 241 Vermillion Stampin Up

I thought it would be fun to use a bird on my card because I have been enjoying watching the birds at my feeder lately, although I doubt very much I will see one of these!  This is a retired stamp called Young Vermillion, and I really wasn’t sure what color a vermillion was!  So I googled it and a Vermillion Flycatcher is red….very, very red!  So that was my inspiration!  I stamped him in Stazon on watercolor paper and diecut him with a Lil’Inkers Stitched Circles die after coloring him with some reinkers and an aquapainter:

DSCF9368

I did some background stamping with Real Red ink on Real Red cardstock, added a seam binding ribbon and a little tag from Tiny Tags and put it all together, quick and simple!  The design team has some really lovely samples they’ve put together too!  Check them out below, and be sure to share your CAS watercolored creations with us at the Paper Players!

Speaking of birds, I heard a racket outside my kitchen window recently, and two red-bellied woodpeckers were fighting at my feeder!  I snagged this photo of the victor (sorry it’s not clearer, it was through the screen!):

DSCF9357

Isn’t he a beaut?  And my own little nature lover, feeling MUCH better, and playing outside:

DSCF9291-001

DSCF9302

DSCF9299

Have a blessed day!

17 comments:

Bananastamper said...

Great friend card, I love your vibrant bird as the focal point. That must have been exciting to have to woodpeckers fighting in your yard!

Nance Leedy said...

I love your little birdie--so handsome in his striking red suit. You are a master watercolorist and I love that you chose a bold color for this technique. The background is gorgeous and I love the tone-on-tone look. So glad Cassidy is feeling better and y'all are getting outside!

None None said...

Hi LeAnne - this gorgeous! I think you captured the bright red of the vermillion perfectly! I love the shadow effect you added around the young fellow. Hope you have a wonderful week - we still have one gorgeous day left in the weekend - YAY!

Debbie Mageed said...

So now I know what a Vermillion looks like - stamping can be quite educational! I love your pretty card and the details are just perfect. You mentioned that you stamped the background and I was curious what the stamp was?

LeAnne said...

Debbie, the background stamp is a retired Cornish Heritage Farms Backgrounder called Leaves #3. They went out of business a few years ago, so I can't help you on a source!

Debbie Mageed said...

Well, it is absolutely lovely! TFS

Lisa Elton said...

We should all get together so you and my hubby could talk birds!! He was in the park this afternoon looking for birds. Not many around today. I'm sure he would love to have seen one of these little red beauties! Very pretty card and I love the background stamp. So happy to see Cassidy's sweet smile and know she's well!!

Karren said...

Beautiful card, LeAnne. The bird is so pretty (actually I have this stamp and it's never even been mounted!). Love the richness of the red background.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

I love how you colored this beautiful image and that background stamp is lovely. So sad both stamps are retired, I'm so happy you used it, you card is beautiful.
Thank you for sharing.

laurie said...

I always enjoy your photo's! And your card is so fun and vibrant..just love that flycatcher!

jengd said...

Lovely coloring on the bird and your background is just a knock-out with it! Yay nice weather!

stampwithsandy said...

I struggled a bit with this challenge too, LeAnne. To me the concept of watercolor and CAS just don't go together! Love what you came up with. Your red bird is striking, and thanks for sharing the inspiration photo. Who makes that background stamp? It's gorgeous!

Claire Broadwater said...

LeAnne, this is beautiful! I love red and this beauty makes me smile! Beautiful photos, too! Miss Cassidy is so pretty! XX

Jaydee said...

I spy with my little eye... GREEN GRASS!!! SPring must have arrived your way and it's obvious how Miss assidy is enjoying that :-) I also love your red-bellied woodpecker. They always make me happy when I see them at the feeder.

Now... on to your card.... Your coloring is perfect and I love that you used a red background, too. Gorgeous card
hugs
jaydee

Ann Schach said...

A stunning card, LeAnne! The red just reaches out and draws you right in! Cassidy is such a sweetie. She is growing up so quickly :)

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

I love the red bird and am so surprised you found this week a challenge, but sometimes I think we just try a little too hard to do something different. The background of this card is perfect too - it really draws the eye to the focal point. A super CAS card!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Well, I think your card is beautiful! I love the richness of the red and the background stamp adds such wonderful detail to the card. Cassidy is looking might “grown-up” lately. What is going on with that? Eeeek!