Saturday, June 30, 2012

Blog Hop for Linda

DSCF5161
Happy Hot Saturday!  Another scorcher today---hope you can find some cool activities to do!  Today, Lesley is honoring a sweet team member, Linda Callahan with her very own grandmother-to-be Blog Hop:
Linda's Hop Badge
Linda will be a grandmom real soon to a sweet little baby girl!  I keep telling her that her world is going to be turned topsy-turvy and she will be IN LOVE!  The theme for the hop is a sweet saying:  “A garden of love grows in a grandmother’s heart”!  Here’s what Lesley says about the inspiration:
  • Use anything that reminds us of our grandmother…a lesson she taught us, her favourite colours, a memory…to inspire a creation by you. You can use any colours or themes that connect to the quote above and also incorporate a congratulations theme too…really…the sky is the limit!
First, let me show you my card.  I used the Mojo Monday sketch 247 and a retired favorite SU set, Feathered Friends:
  DSCF5162
I did some watercoloring (sorry, I am stuck on that this week!) and some new SU papers from Storytime and Patio Party.  Linda always likes my random stamping on my backgrounds (she calls it stamping stamping stamping) so I added some of that to my Baja Breeze card, and finished it with a sweet little red bow and some hearts.
Lesley also asked us to share a little about our own grandmothers.  I have to admit, I got a bit choked up when I sat down to write my memories.  Both my grandmothers have been gone for over 30 years, so my memories are very old and faded!  My paternal grandmother (Gramma) lived on the farm with us, in a separate house, but I saw her every day of my childhood.  She was frugal, funny and wise.  She would scare us on Halloween by dressing up as an old lady and taking out her false teeth!  She LOVED to garden and I cannot see a peony or poppy to this day without thinking of her.  I used to follow her around with a jar of gasoline as she tended her rose bushes and drop Japanese beetles into it!  And she prayed for us to become Christians and grow up to be helpful, caring people.  My maternal grandmother (Nan) was a bit more stern, so I was a tad bit intimidated by her until I got older.  She was an excellent cook and extremely crafty!  Although I always say I got whatever artistic genes I have from my dad, my maternal grandmother instilled a love of crafts in me.  We were just getting to a point where we could do some projects together, and sadly, she passed away.  Looking back, I can see where both grandmothers influenced me in my areas of giftedness, and I am SO blessed to be able to have had both of them close by.  It makes me appreciate being a grandmother to Cassidy even more….I hope I can nurture her gifts and talents like my grandmothers did to me!  And I know that Linda will be a fantastic grandmother…..we are all anxiously awaiting the moment when that will happen!  I created this card because the flowers remind me of Gramma and her garden, and the watercoloring and “crafting” part of making the card itself reminded me of Nan.
DSCF5163
Okay, if you’ve made it through my long post, you can hop over to the others on the blog hop!  You can start if you like, at Freshly Made Sketches, and here are the others, be sure to stop by and give them some love as well! 
And congrats to Rita, also, who just became a mom on Wednesday!!!  Lots of snuggles & hugs going out to your little one!

19 comments:

Carol Maynard said...

I love your "Gramma" memories..... Makes me think of my Grammas!!! Great women, they were!! I particularly LOVE your water coloring on this card! Pretty darn awesome!

Mary Fish said...

lovely memories. one of grandmothers was a bit stern and scary (at least in a child's eyes) but i learned to appreciate her as got older. she was always knitting or doing some sort of craft!

Mikki said...

LeAnne, I loved reading your story about your grandmas and your inspiration for the lovely card you made. The water coloring is amazing and love what you did with the layout.

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

LeAnne, your memories of your Gramma really touched my heart! Your card is GORGEOUS and I just know Gramma is smiling down on you today with this lovely post and beautiful card you've made to pay tribute to her.

Jen Mitchell said...

Such a beautiful card. And the stories of your grandmothers and how they inspired you is very sweet!

SHERI said...

Such beautiful coloring. This blog hop has been wonderful, seeing such talent and reading all of the wonderful grandma stories!

Denise Willerton said...

Beautiful card LeAnne ~ your watercoloring is stunning!!! Your memories of your grandmothers was beautiful to read ~ As I watch (through cyber world) you and Cassidy, I see a beautiful grammy in action...nurturing and lovin' on Cassidy! Have a wonderful weekend!

Cindy Hall said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories of your grandmothers. Your card is fabulous, and your watercoloring is exceptional!

Jen Timko said...

What a blessing for you to have these amazing women in your life and to be able to pass down the tradition. What a beautiful card. Your coloring and stamping x 3 are awesome!

Cheryl M. said...

This is the lovliest card and post. Your Grandmother's prayers have been heard and answered. Maybe the best gift we can give to our children and grandchildren (I'm not a grandmother yet) is a prayer that they will become Christians and also to do good things for others. I will be thinking about my Grandmothers all day now. Both of them would have adored your card!

Patti said...

Gorgeous card and terrific water coloring. It's wonderful you have such fond memories of your grandmothers even though they've been gone for so long.

Ann Schach said...

Beautiful card, LeAnne! Your coloring is fabulous! What wonderful memories you shared!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

LeAnne this card is gorgeous (as always) and the coloring fabulous!
I am just loving this HOP and all the gramma stories. I can't wait for Linda to enter this life changing experience... she is such a fun and quick witted lady, can't wait for the 'gramma' stories to begin. hugs.

Bev Gomez said...

Love your card and memories of your Gram Lee Anne. TFS! Hugs,Bev

Linda said...

What a sweet card and a very sweet memory of your Grandmothers. I loved reading about them.

Marisa said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandmothers, Leanne :) Loved reading about it and it brought back great memories of my grandmother all she meant to me. Lovely image and card.

Linda Callahan said...

How wonderful to hear about both of your grandmothers! Cassidy is going to have some wonderful memories of her own about her grandmother! And your card is beautiful - that watercoloring is something else! And you know I love the stamping stamping stamping in the background! I am just overwhelmed today by this - I just can't believe I have such terrific stamping friends! And you are my role model - when the baby sleeps - I stamp - I hope! xoxo

Frenchie said...

Oohh Ms LeAnn , I see you every day being the best grandma around .... To Cassady she is sooo loved by her grandma she will have meney memory's of a loving grandma !! It's fun ha?
Hugs frenchie

Anne Marie Hile said...

Your watercoloring is gorgeous, LeAnne!! Please stay fixated on it, as you really do ti justice! Loved reading your post. Your card is a wonderful interprettion of the challenge. Love the color combo!! :)