Sunday, December 4, 2011

Paper Players 75

DSCF9803-1

Happy Sunday!  Today Nance is our Paper Players hostess and she has a cool theme for you!  Put on your thinking caps and come up with a unique way to use those non-Christmas stamps or colors!

As a child, my grandmother had the most wonderful German glass ornaments on her Christmas tree…the ones that fascinated me the most were the birds!  Maybe you’ve seen them—they had a little clip to fasten it on to the branch, and wonderful long tails made of some sort of thin soft stuff---which had usually fallen out by the time I arrived on the scene!  They were beautifully colored and they were my favorites!  I still have a couple but I just save them, don’t even put them on my tree!  Anyway, I’ve had this idea to use the SU bird punch to make my own bird ornaments…what do you think:

PP75-LeAnne DSCF9807

DSCF9808-1

Let me tell you, they are dazzling in real life!  I used the non-traditional colors of Melon Mambo and Pacific Point with some bright yellow and chartreuse accents---definitely not your typical Christmas colors!  These were a breeze to make….I simply used a Sissix Adhesive sheet adhered to some cardstock, punched out the birds, peeled off the protective sheet and sprinkled on my glitter!  It worked  like a charm!  That stuff is awesome!  Because I didn’t want to distract from the glitz, I chose a plain background for my card with just  a little silver Glimmer paper peeking out from under the flap, which is also what I used for their tails:

DSCF9810

This card is wider than a regular A5 card, but will easily fit inside a business-size envelope!  I hope you’ll be inspired to make an out-of-the-box Christmas card or project!  Fly on over to the Paper Players blog to see what the other clever designers came up with and be sure to link your creation as well!  If you have any questions about anything I used on this card, please feel free to email me!

Speaking of birds, I was cleaning & filling the bird feeder earlier in the week and Cassidy was intent on playing with the seed….there was only about an inch or so left, and it was just a tiny little bit out of her reach!  She is a determined little one…she actually picked up the bucket at one point.  I think she thought if she could just move it, she’d be able to reach it!

DSCF9922

DSCF9923  DSCF9932

DSCF9933

Have a great day!

18 comments:

Patti Willey said...

Good morning!
You sprinkled on your glitter! Wow! I figured you may have colored it with markers. They're beautiful! And German Glass Christmas ornaments are a treasure! What a glitzy card!

None None said...

Adorable, LeAnne! Love the German glass birds you recreated! And Cassidy looks so determined - love it!

Kim S said...

I remember ornaments like that!! You have done a fantastic job recreating them!

Patti said...

Your card and memories are lovely. I love the simple elegance you created. I always enjoy the photos of your granddaughter. What a wonderful record you have created of her growing day by day.

Denise Willerton said...

super cute card LeAnne ~ love what you've done here for this challenge and Cassidy looks like she's almost ready to help you with gardening! Have a wonderful day, TFS your amazing gift with us....oh how I miss playing along with challenges ~ maybe January???

Rita W said...

I always love to hear the inspiration for people's projects, so thank you for sharing that. I think they are just gorgeous! I will have to get some of those adhesive sheets to try the glitter trick; it sounds a bit less messy than glue. :)

Kim said...

beautiful card! this will be in my inspiration blog post today. Incidentally, I love looking at the pictures of your daughter every day. She's such a cutie!

KatheD said...

Your birds are fabulous! I had forgotten all about them until I saw your card - perfect renditions, even the colors are similar to the ones I remember.

Tara Bilbao said...

LeAnne, Those birds are just so stunning and I love the story behind them. I love the color choice and those long tails. Beautiful card!

Cassidy is so adorable. I love that pic of he bent over/into the bucket. So sweet.

Lesley said...

Hi LeAnne,
My grandma had these ornaments too and I just loved them! The colors and the amazing glitter you used made me smile. You rocked this challenge.
Hugs, Lesley

Nance Leedy said...

Oh LeAnne, you met this challenge straight on and created exactly the type of card I had in mind for it! It's absolutely stunning--I love the colors, the birds and the best part is their tails! Fabulous job, my friend...thanks for sharing your inspiration with us!

Linda said...

Oh those are wonderful birds. I have one like that for my tree. It is very old. I love these.
She is one smart little girl. What a cutie.

Linda Callahan said...

What do I think?? Over the top and fabulous! Love those long glittery tails!

Anne Marie Hile said...

My hubby's Grandma (who is German) has quite a few of those ornaments and I have always admired them. Your card is gorgeous, LeAnne! From the bright colors, to the elongated shape, to the sparkle and shine...you really created a beauty.

Little Cassidy looks like she is having a grand time with the bird seed. I lve the focus on her face. Her little outfits are always so stinkin' cute, too. Hope your weekend was great! Big hugs! :)

barb mann said...

Beautiful as always. I see these dazzling birds as tree ornaments. Just perfect LeAnne! TFS...Barb

Linda Fisher said...

I remember these birds my Mother used to have some, gosh, I wonder what happened to them? Now you've got me thinking!! You have captured these little beauties perfectly!! I'm love'n Cassidy's color combo....idea for my next card!

Tania said...

Beautiful card, and oh, Cassidy is a cutie! One day she's gonna figure out the key is to knock it over and dump the stuff out. That's actually what I predicted she'd do.

Joy Jones said...

Oh my! Those birds are purely gorgeous!! Love your card!