Tuesday, February 28, 2023

AYSI293 Vintage Sympathy

Happy Tuesday, everyone!  The last day of February (---and the last day of Sale-a-bration!)  A friend from many, many years ago lost his wife suddenly last week, and although I haven't seen him for over forty years, I still wanted to send him a sympathy card.  The challenge from my old friends at As You See It seemed nice for that type of card:


So here we go:


I didn't want to make this card too frilly, since it is being sent to a male friend, but I wanted to give it a bit of feminitiy since it was honoring his wife.  I started by stamping an old background stamp called French Script on a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock and embossed it with the Timeworn Type embossing folder.  I sponged Crumb Cake ink on the raised areas and distressed the edges a wee little bit.  I chose some pretty prints from an old 6x6 stack from my stash called Summer Crush and used my hexagon punch to punch them out:


I used a Stitched Strip die from Pretty Pink Posh to diecut a sentiment from Hero Arts, then arranged everything on the card front and added some Gold pearls.  On the inside I stamped two sentiments from Papertrey:


On Saturday, after Cassidy's basketball game, we went to my niece's baby shower.  The venue was a lovely room at a Christian retreat, and they used the theme of oranges; here is the mom-to-be's inviting bench, placed in front of the decorated fireplace:


Some of the decor:


and our place settings (I've already devoured the wee little jar of marmalade, and Cassidy ate the candy!):


One of the games we played was to guess what was in each of twenty baby diapers!  The sisters-in-law put twenty various items inside twnety diapers, then sealed the tops and sides, and we had to guess what was inside just by feeling the items!  It was fun, but my guesses were a total flop!  Cassidy got fourteen out of twenty, though!  She rocked it!



Thanks so much for visiting today--enjoy it and be blessed!

Project Details—All Products SU! Unless Otherwise Specified
Stamps French Script (ret), CL342 Sentiments (Hero Arts), Year of Psalms November (Papertrey), Inspired Prayer (Papertrey)
Card stock & Papers     Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Summer Crush DSP (Maja Design)
 Ink Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Sahara Sand
Accessories Velvet Ribbon (ret), Gold Metallic Pearls (ret)
Tools     Hexagon Punch (ret)

10 comments:

Wendy said...

Such a beautiful card for a sad occasion, LeAnne. I love all the texture that your background stamp and embossing bring to the card and those pretty hexagon shapes of patterned paper. I think you did a wonderful job on not making it to frilly but still honoring his wife. I am saving this one for later use! Loved all the table settings at your baby shower! The oranges took me by surprise but how lovely! It looked amazing! Great job by Miss Cassidy, too!

Kampin' Karen said...

CASEing Wendy's comment...lol! TFS.

I Card Everyone said...

Lovely sympathy card, LeAnne. I'm sure he will be grateful for your condolences and to be remembered after all these years.
=]

Deborah Wheeler said...

That's such a beautiful card LeAnne - I'm sure it was very much appreciated. I love the different take you took on our recipe. Always great to see you in the as You See It gallery

Heather Cooper said...

First of all, LeAnne, Cassidy has really grown up! Yikes!! Second, I love the fine line you took on the card between not too feminine but with some feminine touches to honour his wife! I'm sure it was well-received. Just the act of sending it, I'm sure meant a lot! I miss French Script. It was one of my favourite backgrounds and perfect for this challenge! Thanks for "cooking up our recipe" at As You See It Challenges!

Bonnie said...

This card is so pretty and serene, LeAnne! A lovely mix of papers and a great background that pay homage to the wife yet are not too frilly. What a beautiful place for a baby shower and it sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Lisa Elton said...

How thoughtful of you to send him your sympathies, LeAnne. And you've done it in such a lovely way.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

I had a feeling this inspo board may appeal to you LeAnne and I love the modern, elegant feel to the card you created - and perfect for the intended recipient. Thanks for playing along with us over at As You See It!

Heather said...

LeAnne, this is one of the loveliest sympathy cards I've ever seen - just perfect! So calming and sweet, he is sure to appreciate it, and a lovely homage to his wife. Beautiful take on our "recipe!" Thanks so much for playing at As You See It!

Jan Clothier said...

What a beautiful, and thoughtful, sympathy card. It does honour his wife with the soft, feminine colours and the design has a real sense of serenity and dignity. The background script is gorgeous and the collection of soft pink hexes is just perfect. A sad card to make, but one that will bring comfort to the receiver. Thank you for joining us at As You See It.