Sunday, April 3, 2011

Paper Players Theme Challenge 41

DSCF0279

Happy Sunday! Today is my turn to be the hostess at the Paper Players, and our theme challenge is “Recycling”!

April 3 2011 Theme Challenge

We want to see something recycled or repurposed on your creation! This is one time where it’s okay to go digging in your trash! I got the idea for this challenge while on vacation….I was trying on some jeans in a department store and this tag was left behind:

DSCF0277

Even though there was still a staple in it, I loved the colors; the “laugh” was a perfect Peach Parfait! Into my luggage it went, making the flight home from Puerto Rico and waiting on my desk to be added to a card! So here we go:

DSCF0280

I used several “repurposed” items on my card besides my tag:

DSCF0283

the flower is diecut from a soda pop can; did you know that SU’s Bigz dies can cut through them like butter? Fun! Edited to add: Queen Mary asked if the edges are sharp when these are cut using the die; the aluminum is surprisingly soft when you cut the can open, but the edges are a little sharp but not razor sharp; it would take a bit of pressure to cut your skin, but if you're careful, you'll be fine. I would not hesitate to send this card out.

DSCF0282

My hearts are from some corrugated packaging; the buttons are from my grandmother’s button tin, and the twill is from a package of place mats that I got at Big Lots!!!! The background of my card was stamped with various SU sentiments and images, creating a collage effect that I just love!!!

I hope you’ll put on your recycling thinking cap and create a treasure that you’ll share with us at the Paper Players blog! We can’t wait to see it!

  • Stamps: Three Little Words, A to Z, Always, Warm Words, On Your Birthday, Defining Alphabet, Lovely Letters, Simply Said
  • Paper: Peach Parfait, Basic Black
  • Ink: Basic Gray, Silver Encore, Peach Parfait
  • Acc: Curly Label Punch, Twill Ribbon, Large & 3-Heart Punches, Fun Flower Diecut; Glimmer Brad, buttons, floss, twill, non-SU silver bling, dimensionals

DSCF0353

17 comments:

Denise Marzec said...

Wowwww, WTG on using all those recycled items. I really love that peach color (haven't bought SU papers for a long time so I'm not familiar with the new colors), the tag is awesome (what a find!), and the flower punched from a soda can is so clever! Awesome card!

Denise Willerton said...

wonderful card LeAnne ~ I love all the recycled elements that you have on your creation! Still busy painting here and no time to create ~ one day soon I hope! have a wonderful day and TFS

Bev J. said...

Love that Laugh sentiment tag-great find! I love using recycled finds and your card is great!

Cassidy has the cutest clothes-such a doll.

Queen Mary said...

OK Leanne, you definitely get cooler stuff than I do to recycle! We actually do recycle all those things -- but I've never gotten twine! I did just get an order of stamps from another company that were tied up with bakers twine! Saved that! I do want to ask about the flower -- do you have to do anything special to the edges -- do they come out dangerously sharp? I haven't tried the technique yet, but would like to.

Linda said...

Very cool. This is my favorite way to craft. I have had a few things sitting a waiting to be reused.

Martha said...

LeAnne,

I think you did an amazing card using things that would normally be thrown away! WOW! That tag is perfect for the "laugh" topic. You are sooo clever! And the can flower and card board hearts give us all inspiration. Thanks.

Love and blessings, Martha

Linda Callahan said...

What a fun challege - and what great ideas you and the team came up with! This is adorable!

Anne Marie Hile said...

LeAnne, you are the "hostess with the mostest" this week! HeeHee! Look at all that fabby recycling you added. That tag is so fun! Great card with so many wonderful elements. This was a fun challenge, I need to challenge myself to create like this more often. :)

Arielle H Gordon said...

W-O-W!!! Amazing card, LeAnee! Those flowers are amazing... your work is always so cool! And look at little Cassidy!!! Such a sweet baby!

Ann Schach said...

Fabulous card, LeAnne! I LOVE the tag, as well as the other re-purposed embellishments. The Peach Parfait is a perfect match for the tag!

Mrs. O said...

Love that tag! You did a fabulous job putting it together with all the other sentiments. What a sensational idea to have everyone focus on recycling.

lisa808 said...

I guess we'll all be looking around fitting room floors now! Thanks for all the good recycling ideas. Absolutely lovely card.

Carol L said...

Wonderful use of recycled goods on this pretty card! I love the tag!!! Great colors too, and I love the crimped hearts!

Nance Leedy said...

I love the jeans tag--what a fabulous find! Great combination of repurposed items and this was a great idea for a challenge!

Lesley said...

Very cool challenge this week LeAnne! Love your tag! This was so much fun and you have shown how awesome recycling can be!

jaydee said...

LeAnne, the silver is gorgeous with the Peach Parfait... I LOVE the tag you found in the dressing room! Fabulous card
hugs
jaydee
p.s. nother gorgeous pic of Cassidy!

Jen Mitchell said...

You've reminded me that I really should pay attention to my surroundings a bit more because I never know where inspiration will come from! I love how you've made all of your recyclables look so fabulous together. This is a really fun challenge.