Sunday, February 3, 2008

Pretty Watercolor Sketch


I used to get rid of all my retired SU sets, but this past season decided I would hold on to some of the ones I really liked. Of course, that means less storage space and more choices when I want to stamp a card! But I hated to see this Petal Prints set retire, because I don't have many "pretty" stamp sets and I like the watercolor effect that you get when you stamp with it. After seeing Laurie Schmidlin's watercolor technique tutorial here, and seeing Sharon Johnson's challenge here, I decided to try to combine the two. Now I am not saying I did the watercolor technique exactly the same way Laurie did, but I gave it a shot! I used some Dollar Store DP as my color inspiration and used SU's watercolor paper on which to stamp the image. I got out my beloved (retired) Cool Caribbean to stamp the flower and Always Artichoke for the stem. Taken with Teal went over the first stamped image, but it just looked too glaringly white, so I brayered it with Soft Sky, which gave it a kind of linen look. I then added some DD glitter and some (retired) velvet ribbon. To kind of tie in the DP, I also stamped it with the (again, retired) Linen background in Soft Sky. Click on the photo for a closer glimpse. Finally, I added the sentiment in Always Artichoke using Papertrey's Paper Tray set. I added "a" with my AA marker. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Love the effect of the wet watercolout technique! Your paper choice is a perfect match!

Ashley said...

Oh, this is so pretty! I love it!!! :o) Hugs! Ash~
www.ashleyscreativecorner.com