Saturday, July 25, 2020

Chipmunk Thanks

Happy Saturday, stampers!  I have a quick masculine card for you today! My birthday is coming up and my sweet step-father-in-law is always very generous, so I wanted to send him a special thank you card.  He's a no-frills kinda guy, so it's a no-frills kinda card, but I did manage to incorporate three challenges!  But first, my card:


TGIF Challenges wants us to use our paper scraps; Color Dare is featuring shades of brown; and Daring Cardmakers, a new one to me, wants us to use three of something!


You know how you always have those little strips of leftover DSP when you cut a mat for the front of a standard-sized card?  I took some of those woodgrained-pattern strips from the Neutrals 6x6 pad in Early Espresso, Crumb Cake, and Cajun Craze (that's my "three") and cut them with a cool little die from Ornate Layers....it's 4" x 7/8" and has stitching all around.  I placed them on an angle on my Very Vanilla card, butting the edges together, to create a little patchwork panel:


For my focal panel, I stamped the chipmunk in Early Espresso on a scrap of Very Vanilla, then used a square Stitched Shape die to cut it out. I took a B acrylic block, stuck it on a Crumb Cake ink pad, then "stamped" once on scrap paper and again directly on top of my critter.  The sentiment was stamped in Cajun Craze:


That's a fun way to add color and texture in a snap!  Now to get this out in the mail!

We do have a chipmunk that scoots around our patio and under our porch, but he is way too shy and quick for me to get a photo of him.  Last Sunday morning, however, we did "capture" this little guy:


He (or she!) has been a naughty little character, stealing whole blocks of suet from my feeders, and climbing up to the top of the seed feeders, helping himself to anything available!  This day, he helped himself to an apple inside of John's Have-a-Heart trap, and he was not a happy camper.  HOWEVER..... a few minutes after we discovered him, when John came to take him to the wooded area down the road and release him, he had ESCAPED!  Apparently the door to the trap has a tiny bit of play in it and he managed to squeeze himself under it!  SO....no more bird seed or suet until John fixes the trap!  You can't fool with Mother Nature....or brother raccoon!

Enjoy your day and be blessed!

Project Details—All Products SU! Unless Otherwise Specified
Stamps Field Journal
Card stock & Papers     Very Vanilla, Neutrals DSP
 Ink Crumb Cake, Cajun Craze, Early Espresso
Accessories Dimensionals
Tools     Big Shot, Ornate Layers Dies, Stitched Shapes Dies, Acrylic Block B

16 comments:

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Love this card - a great quick thank you card that uses up scraps and has a fun ink technique! The chipmunk is cute too - not so sure about that wily raccoon though!

Kampin' Karen said...

I totally love your card and your story. Raccoons are so very smart!

Bonnie said...

Love how you've used the bits of paper at the bottom, LeAnne! It's a perfect base for this sweet critter! I'm sure your FIL will love it! I always loved watching the chipmunks and miss having them here. We have a lot of squirrels that like to eat our bird food! No raccoons though, thankfully!

Tracy Grauer said...

What a great masculine card! I love what you did with the paper scraps. Oh my! What a smart raccoon! He is cute though!

Lisa Elton said...

Terrific card, I love that little chipmunk and the nifty wood grain papers! The racoon may be a naughty little fella but he sure is CUTE!

Tania said...

Gorgeous. I officially want this stamp set now. It was on my 'maybe - I need to see how it stamps' list. I love it

The colours are perfect.

Cat Nowak said...

Wonderful card and a fun story about your raccoon. Thank you for joining us at Color Dare.

Jen Mitchell said...

What a great way to use up those scraps of DSP. And what a great masculine card. There is just something about a raccoon face that is so cute - and how smart they are!

Alyson Mayo said...

Love the woodgrain pieces - such a perfect setting for the focal image. Thanks for sharing with us at Colour Dare:)

A.Rose said...

Absolutely love this card. The beautiful image but also the background. Plus the CAS aspect! Thanks for joining us at Color My Heart Color Dare!

Melanie R said...

What an eye-catching card, LeAnne! I really like the masculine flavor of the card and the colors are fabulous. Cute chipmunk, too. Thank you for sharing the raccoon story and photo and thank you for playing along with us at Color My Heart Color Dare #403.

Linda Callahan said...

And I throw those scraps away! Love what you did with them!

Claire said...

I love how you've colour blocked the strip using the DSP LeAnne - so effective. And the stamped critter against the acrylic block stamped crumb cake looks fabulous!

Tami Hewlett said...

What a sweet card! Brilliant idea to angle the paper scraps! Thanks for joining TGIF Challenges this week!

Susan Renshaw said...

Love those strips of colour!
Thank you for sharing with Color My Heart Color Dare!
Susan
Color My Heart Color Dare
Challenges

Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Love how you used the stitched rectangles for a diagonal border with your color selection... creative and fun CAS card. Thanks for sharing with us at Color Dare.