Saturday, October 14, 2023

TOC249 Vintage Halloween

Happy Satuarday, peeps! Is it raining where you are? It's gone from beautiful sun to gray clouds and lots of rain predicted!  A perfect day to stay inside and stamp!  The challenge at Time Out this week is vintage..I LOVE vintage, especially when the images feature little children..and Halloween!  


I have lots of images saved, so I printed one out and created this:


This is a fairly large card, 4 5/8" x 6 1/4", so I could use a larger image.  I used some subdued Halloween prints for the background, sponged the edges of my image, added a Pecan Pie mat as well as some Tim Holtz stickers, a vintage glitter star and some ribbon:


This little image really makes me feel nostalgic.  I can remember my dad teasing us around Halloween, saying "The goblins will getcha if you don't watch out!"  I happened to find a poem by James Whitcomb Riley called Little Orphant Annie, and I imagine that is where it came from.  His teacher probably read it to him at school.  Riley uses a lot of country idioms so you have to use your imagination when reading it but it does have a good moral!  You can see it HERE.  

A Crafty Secrets vintage Halloween sentiment went on the inside, along with a cute little ghost from an unmarked set:


And since I told you I love vintage, here is a vintage postcard from my own collection:


This postcard is 110 years old and still looks amazing!  There is gold on several of the images and it's perfect. On the back, it has the message "I hope you may have this kind of a time" to my great-uncles Taylor and Hutchison Thompson from their Uncle John.  They would have been 21 and 25 years old at the time!  Check out the address...no road, just a town. Obviously the mailman knew where they lived! The stamp is one cent and the postmark says Lemont, PA, 1913.


My grandmother probably kept this because they all lived on the family farm.  Thanks for indulging me a bit of vintage Halloween history!  And thanks for popping in--enjoy your day and be blessed!



Project Details—All Products SU! Unless Otherwise Specified
Stamps Vintage Halloween (Crafty Secrets), Unknown ghost
Card stock & Papers     Pecan Pie, Naturals White (ret), Fall Break (Carta Bella), Spooky (Echo Park)
 Ink Smoky Slate, Versafine Black, Versamark
Accessories Narrow Pumpkin Pie Grosgrain Ribbon (ret), Heat & Stick Powder, Glitter, Tim Holtz Ideology Stickers
Tools     1/8" Hole Punch, Country Star Punch (ret), Heat Tool

10 comments:

Wendy said...

Super sweet Halloween card, LeAnne! I love seeing old postcards so thank you for sharing this! You don't see this kind of thing anymore especially with the younger generation. I have some of these older style images for Halloween that we got many years ago at a stamp show. Thanks for reminding me of them...I need to get them out & use them on cards. Yours is perfect! Happy Saturday & enjoy the rain!

Vickie said...

How very cute..love all this vintage and nostalgia. Delightful poem LeAnne.

Bonnie said...

Two beautiful vintage images, LeAnne! That postcard is extra special!

I Card Everyone said...

I love it when your love of vintage shows up, LeAnne! Both images are so sweet, but I adore that this last one even more because it is actually from a family member - what a treasure!
Someone will treasure your card, too - so sweet!
=]

Carol L said...

That is such a delightfully cute vintage card and I love the card you created. I am just fascinated with that old postcard from 1913 with the one cent postage stamp! I LOVE that you saved that all these years!

Vannessa Osbourn said...

Love vintage Halloween postcards and the fact that yours has family history makes it even better! Love your card!

Lisa Elton said...

You do have the best collection of vintage goodies! Darling card, LeAnne and what a special post card!

Kate said...

O LeAnne what a treasure that post card Is - how wonderful your grandmother held onto it and passed it on to you! Your card is just as precious and will also be treasured! So happy our challenge inspired you - thanks for taking some Time Out to play cards with us at Time Out Challenges!
Hugs, Kate (Cards a la Kate)!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

I am so happy that you came over to Time Out to play. I love the card you created for our vintage challenge - mine started with the same Crafty Secrets pad. I so love the post card and the story behind it. What a treasure. Thanks so mcu. for playing with us!

Quillish said...

Wow.. it was such a joy to read your blog and see an actual vintage postcard - so beautifully preserved. I love the sweet image of your card and the layout with the little writings all around and also a memory attached to it. So precious. Thank you for taking time out and joining us. hugs ~ Ishani