Monday, May 29, 2023

Memorial Day Remembrance

Happy Monday, everyone! I guess I should not say "Happy" Memorial Day, as it is not happy for those families whose loved ones have made the ultimate sacrifice.  I watched part of the PBS Memorial Day concert last night and the stories that were shared just brought tears to my eyes.  We are SO BLESSED to live and worship freely in the USA and I am negligent in remembering how costly that freedom really is.  

I just wanted to share a little video I took on Saturday; it was the ending of the ceremony that our town has following the Memorial Day parade.  Of course, I had to get hubby in there, but hearing Taps played is a great reminder as well of those who paid that price.  (Be patient, it may take a couple seconds for the video to load!)



I did some research about "Taps" and this is what I found.  It's not really a "song", but a bugle signal:

Even though it's a bugle signal, many started putting words to Taps.

Words to Taps

(Note: there are no "official" words to Taps but the most popular Taps Lyrics are below.  These Taps Lyrics are the most popular, however several adaptions have been created.)

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the hills, from the lake, from the skies.
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

Go to sleep, peaceful sleep, may the soldier
or sailor, God keep. On the land or the deep, Safe in sleep.

Love, good night, must thou go,
when the day, and the night need thee so?
All is well. Speedeth all To their rest.

Fades the light;
And afar Goeth day,
And the stars Shineth bright,
Fare thee well;
Day has gone, night is on.

Thanks and praise, for our days,
'Neath the sun, Neath the stars, 'Neath the sky,
As we go, this we know, God is nigh.

Enjoy your day and be blessed!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Thank you for posting this.

Claire Broadwater said...

Such a beautiful post! Memorial Day is such a special day!

I Card Everyone said...

So wonderful, LeAnne - your video has me in tears this morning. I have to ask - is it the echo of taps, or is there another bugler playing a reply?
I love these lyrics - official or not.
God bless.
=]