Tuesday, November 8, 2022

AYSI287 Birthday for Charlie

Happy Tuesday, peeps!  I have a card today for John's BIL who turns a big SIXTY this year!  When I was on the As You See It DT, I had come up with this "recipe", and even though I'm not with the team anymore, I still thought it would be fun to use it for Charlie's card!  Here's the recipe:


Charlie drives big trucks for a living, so I thought a whimsical card using the dump truck die from Memory Box would make him chuckle!  So here we go:

I started with a Balmy Blue card base and added a layer of the map from Layering Designs vellum.  I used a stitched die from Lawn Fawn to create my "hills", stamping them with a stamp from Gorgeous Grunge, then cutting the truck from Basic Black, Pacific Point and Brushed Silver:


He has a heavy load, carrying that "60" uphill....I hope he can make it, LOL!  I added this cool diecut sentiment a sweet stamping friend gave me last year, adding the twine to the letter "c" and popping it up on some slivers of mini dimensionals:


A sentiment from Biggest Wish went on the inside:


Hope he likes it!  Thanks for popping in today!

So on Sunday we had a birthday party at church for my dad's cousin, who turned 90!  He was very surprised, and I got to see lots of relatives I haven't seen in a while!  The family didn't ask for presents, but I saw a fun Hershey's Nugget "cake" on Splitcoast Stampers, and decided to try my hand at one, along with help from Cassidy.  I neglected to take a picture of the final product; I actually put diecut numbers on the top, adhered with some strips of acetate, so you'll just have to imagine that part!


I had already created my three forms for the layers before Cass arrived.  I used cardboard from packages of DSP, cut into 1 3/8" height, then I stapled them together and adhered them to diecut circles of Granny Apple Green, Crushed Curry and Poppy Parade.  We adhered strips of Celebrate Everything DSP to different kinds of nuggets, then hot-glued them around the outer edges of the cardboard, then hot-glued the layers on top of each other!  Cassidy seems to be quite a pro at handling that glue gun!



I did mount the whole thing on a larger square of cardboard; it was a wee bit wobbly, but it was definitely fun to look at, and he'll definitely be challenged to get it all apart, LOL!  And here's the birthday boy Hugh,  himself:


That's my cousin's hand in the picture, not his.....he doesn't sport a diamond ring, LOL!  He is sharp as a tack though....and lots of fun to be around!  It was great to be a part of the celebration!  Enjoy your day and be blessed!


Project Details—All Products SU! Unless Otherwise Specified
Stamps Biggest Wish, Gorgeous Grunge (ret), Celebrate (unknown)
Card stock & Papers     Balmy Blue, Crumb Cake, Pacific Point, Basic Black, White, Layering Designs Vellum
 Ink Crumb Cake, Balmy Blue, Versafine Black
Accessories Dimensionals, Mini Dimensionals, Linen Thread
Tools     Big Shot, Stitched Hills Dies (Lawn Fawn), Dump Truck Die (Memory Box), Sponge Daubers, Little Numbers Dies (ret), Silver Painty Pen

10 comments:

Wendy said...

That birthday card is so adorable and i'm sure it will be one that your BIL is sure to love & remember! That dump truck is so cute and the star of the card! Also loved that cool Nugget Cake! Never made one but always admired them! TFS and have a wonderful day! :)

Kampin' Karen said...

What joy you must have had creating both the cute card and the yummy "cake"! Cassidy is such a well-rounded young lady and such a helper. Have a blessed day.

Vickie said...

Love your Birthday card….Super Cute LeAnne…and what a neat idea with the Birthday cake for Hugh. He looks good.
Happy Happy Day.

I Card Everyone said...

A fabulous card and you took my thoughts about that load and hill right out of my brain! I'm betting he laughed out loud!
Hugh looks a bit like an actor named Richard Kind - currently the Captain on East New York - how fun is that cake!
=]

Lisa Elton said...

So cute! Bet the birthday boy loved the fun cake!

Deborah Wheeler said...

That's so clever LeAnne - I love the map in the background! You designed a fab recipe for the challenge as well! Great to see it in the As You See It gallery x

Jan Clothier said...

What a fabulous masculine, and very personal, card you've created! Thank you for bequeathing us such a great recipe before you left us! Your cake is fabulous too.

Heather Cooper said...

LeAnne!! You've found the perfect use for those map vellum pieces in the Layering Designs vellum! I didn't think I'd ever use mine! This is a great personalized card for your BIL and so great that you used the recipe you developed while you were still with our team! My favourite part is the 60 in the dump truck! I wish we could just go dump those unwanted extra years!

Heather said...

Wow, LeAnne, this card is amazing! Love that map background, and your truck detail is perfect! What a fun "celebrate," too, such a perfectly playful card for a guy! He must have loved it! Thanks so much for playing at As You See It!

Jane Knudsen said...

LeAnne! This card is a stunner! I really want to touch it and feel all the papers and that dump truck! The font on that sentiment - love it! Thanks for joining us at As You See It!